He had denied the 32 charges in a trial that was broadcast live and gained huge interest across the country.
Mr Omotoso was dramatically arrested at an airport in 2017 as he sought to leave the country.
In 2018, one witness told the court she had been r#ped by the pastor - who ran a church in the city of Port Elizabeth - when she was 14 years old.
When delivering the verdict on Wednesday, the judge presiding over the trial said that Mr Omotoso had been found not guilty because prosecutors had mishandled the case.
When delivering the verdict on Wednesday, the judge presiding over the trial said that Mr Omotoso had been found not guilty because prosecutors had mishandled the case.
South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) shared a similar assessment, saying that "former prosecutors in the case acted improperly and the accused were not sufficiently cross-examined by the state".
The NPA said it would now "consider its legal options" and that the drawn-out nature of the trial was partly down to Mr Omotoso filing numerous legal challenges.
For his part, Mr Omotoso told the media he thanked God for the verdict.
Hi co-accused, Lusanda Sulani and Zikiswa Sitho, were also found not guilty.
His trial was the first prominent rape case to be broadcast live in a country where sexual violence is rampant.
The hearings attracted huge interest, and raised difficult questions about victims' rights, impartiality and whether justice is best served by having television cameras in courtrooms.
After Wednesday's verdict, Mr Omotoso will be deported to Nigeria, South African media outlet News24 reported.
BBC News
Kaiiiiiiiii
ReplyDeleteImagine.
ReplyDeleteAfter eight years
Na wa oo
Hmmm 🤔🤔🤔
ReplyDeleteI watched the video, the lady he molested ( Allegedly) Immediately burst into tears .
ReplyDeleteIt's well
DeleteOhh Dear
DeleteSo Sad..
Hello iya Boys
God be praise 👏
ReplyDeleteI hope those that accused him will face the law too for false allegations?
ReplyDelete